Affinity Partner, and ABA TECHSHOW 2013 Chair, Britt Lorish Tells You What to Expect
Spring is coming and that means only one thing, ABA TECHSHOW is right around the corner. Affinity Consulting is proud to have Partner Britt Lorish as this year’s ABA TECHSHOW Chair and we chatted with her briefly to get some insight into this year’s event happening April 4-6 in Chicago.
What is the driving purpose behind an event such as ABA TECHSHOW?
Every year brings a stellar keynote – who is joining us this year in Chicago?
BL: We’re really excited to welcome David Pogue, tech columnist from the New York Times. David is known for his knowledge – having written seven books in the “For Dummies” series in addition to his own “missing Manual” series – as well as his entertaining approach. He’s sure to deliver an entertaining and informative kickoff to ABA TECHSHOW.
What kind of content can people expect?
BL: In addition to several plenary sessions and the ever popular “60 Tips in 60 Minutes” and “60 Sites in 60 Minutes”, we have over 50 educational sessions including a wide variety of topics on the following tracks:
• Paperless & Productivity – Learn how moving to a less paper-filled environment can increase your efficiency and productivity
• Litigation – The latest courtroom and alternative dispute resolution technology tools and tips will be highlighted
• Large Firm – Discussions will be held on a variety of topics from data retention to project management
• Social Media – Learn how to ethically leverage social media in your practice
• Tech Grab Bag – Preview emerging technologies such as Windows 8 and Office 365
• Cloud & Collaboration – Find out if the cloud is right for you and what it really means; learn how to share information collaboratively while being cognizant of security and ethical considerations
• Solo & Small Firm – Find out what technology tools pack the biggest punch for the money in a small firm environment
• Tablets & SmartPhones – Mobile devices are all the rage! Determine which ones are the best and which apps will help you manage your practice remotely, more than you could ever imagine
• E-Discovery – Discuss the latest case law updates, and the latest tools for e-discovery data mining including sessions on predictive coding and cloud-based products
• Mac – If you’ve ever considered making “the switch” to Apple, this track will provide you with a wealth of knowledge regarding how other lawyers practice without being a slave to Microsoft
• Advanced IT – Topics geared toward IT departments will provide insight on network penetration testing, geolocation technologies, Windows 8, and mobile device forensics
• Meet the Author – Come meet the authors of legal technology books recently published by the ABA’s Law Practice Management section
What other ways can people get involved?
Over the years, we’ve worked hard to give attendees ways outside of the educational sessions to experience ABA TECHSHOW and the great city of Chicago. To navigate the entire ABA TECHSHOW experience, we’ve got our 2013 conference app – available for iOS, Android and Blackberry. The app gives you instant access to the schedule, vendor information, speaker info, maps – pretty much anything you need. We’ve also put together an exhibitor list chock full of the leading vendors in legal technology – our EXPO gives everyone a chance to talk one-on-one with technologists, see product demos and learn hands-on how to use technology to improve your practice.
We also want to give folks a chance to enjoy Chicago. On both April 4th and 5th, we’re hosting a series of dutch-treat “Taste of ABA TECHSHOW’ dinners. You’ll join some of our speakers at one of the leading Chicago restaurants to discuss a technology topic of interest. You can sign up both at ABA TECHSHOW or online before the event. Great food and information sharing – it doesn’t get much better!
Does ABA TECHSHOW provide CLE content?
BL: Absolutely! We’ve already requested MCLE accreditation for every state that has mandatory CLE requirements. We provide certifications of attendance at the end of the conference as well.
What are the logistics? How can people attend?
BL: This year’s ‘show is April 4-6th. We’re once again at the Hilton Chicago which has group rates available through March 11, 2013. Attendees can find complete travel and registration information at www.techshow.com
Why should a lawyer or legal professional attend ABA TECHSHOW?
BL: Technology has come so far – there are so many ways it can help not only with specific functions but with specific types of law. Using technology can really streamline your practice but you have to know what’s out there so you can make the right choices and invest your technology dollars wisely. ABA TECHSHOW is a great way to gather up a wide variety of knowledge quickly from experts who’ve filtered through the massive amount of information that exists today. Every lawyer who attends will leave with at least one helpful idea or tip to streamline their practice.